Volunteer Request: APDT Foundation Board of Trustees
The APDT Foundation began in 2010 with the goal of encouraging research into dog training and behavior. The APDT Foundation is a separate entity from the Association of Professional Dog Trainers, founded in 1993. The purpose of the Foundation is to provide funding for applied scientific research on dog training and behavior and to further increase the knowledge base of the dog training profession.
The APDT Foundation held their first successful fundraising auction at the Annual APDT Educational Conference and Trade Show in October 2010, and their second auction at the conference in October 2011. The auction will continue to be an annual event. Our first funding cycle for Poster Sessions occurred at the 2011 Annual APDT Educational Conference and Trade Show. The Poster Session is now a popular, regular feature of the APDT Annual Educational Conference.
In 2013, the APDT Foundation awarded their first set of grants.
The APDT Foundation's Board of Trustees provides organizational leadership and vision, maintains high ethical standards in accordance with our values, engages in effective planning to grow the foundation, and develops fundraising strategies to increase foundation resources.
We are seeking qualified candidates to serve on our volunteer Board of Trustees:
In particular, we are looking for people who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Energetic and entrepreneurial business people, who are not already overextended with other commitments, eager to put their enthusiasm for improving the lives of dogs to work for us.
- Community leaders and philanthropists willing to engage their peers in support of our mission.
- Individuals with significant board and fundraising experience who are passionate about enhancing the human-animal bond.
- Professionals with experience in marketing, public relations, strategic planning, accounting and administration who want to put their skills to work to further our mission.
We have high expectations for our board members who are required to:
- Understand the APDT Foundation by becoming well versed in its mission, history, current role in the industry, finances, programs and services, volunteers, and organizational structure; understands the external and internal forces that affect the APDT Foundation.
- Participates in the foundation's fundraising plans to ensure goals are achieved and assist with the foundation's fundraising activities through direct personal contributions and solicitation of industry peers and colleagues.
- Have a strong commitment to the welfare of dogs and improving the relationship between dogs and their owners and the community.
- Attend monthly telephone conference calls and one in-person meeting at the APDT Annual Conference in October.
- Actively serve on and contribute to the outcome of one of our committees: Nominating, Science, Auction and Fundraising.
- Advocate for the organizational needs of the APDT Foundation among colleagues and peers and other organizations.
If you are interested in being considered for our board, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.